Top 4 Tax Tips For Expats

Monday, March 10, 2014

Top 4 Essential Tax Tips For Expats

Around this time every year, Americans turn to the dreaded task of doing their taxes. Unfortunately, even if you happen to be an expat, this fact doesn’t change, and you will need tax tips for doing your taxes just like the rest of us.

Living abroad has many risks, rewards and challenges for those Americans who chose to take the plunge and embrace a new nation as their home. However, among the new experiences, languages and people, there is one familiar obligation that will never change: their need to file a U.S. tax return if they are a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder.

There are a handful of exceptions based on gross income, filing status and age, but the vast majority of American expats are still required to file and report their worldwide income each and every year, regardless of where they are living. Fortunately, if you haven’t done so yet, expats are eligible for an automatic extension until June 15th.

To help ease the pain a bit, here are four essential tax tips every expat should consider before doing their taxes this year.

1) Foreign Tax Credit

“But I pay taxes in my host nation!,” you say. A common misconception among expats working for a foreign entity is that they don’t have to file a tax return because they pay taxes abroad. Unfortunately, this is 100% false: they still must file a return. That being said, in most cases, having paid tax in your country of residence will reduce or eliminate your tax liability through the use of Form 1116.

However, your foreign tax credit may not exceed your U.S. tax liability, as this liability is actually determined as a percentage of your total foreign-source income divided by your total worldwide income, so don’t expect to get a refund as a result. Any foreign tax credit amount in excess of the maximum limit may be carried back to a previous tax year with foreign source income or carried forward for up to 10 years.

2) Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

An advantage to living abroad is that you may also be eligible to qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

For 2013, the first $97,600 in foreign earned income is considered tax-free by the U.S. government for those who qualify. Note that this income needs be earned and you need to fulfill very specific length-of-stay or residency requirements.

Items such as rental income, dividends, capital gains and interest will also continue to be taxed at their normal rate and do not fall under the exclusion. Beyond that, one is eligible for the majority of the normal deductions (standard or itemized) and exemptions, as well as a potential deduction for housing expenses abroad based on location.

Your income must come from a “foreign source,” and the “source” of earned income is simply the location where you performed services to earn the income. How you are paid or if it is deposited to a U.S. bank account has no effect on the source of the income.

For example, income you receive for work done in Australia is income from a foreign source even if the income is paid directly to your bank account in the United States and your employer is located in New York City.

3) Your FBAR Is Due June 30th

In an effort to reduce offshore tax evasion and recoup federal tax revenues, the IRS has also taken a renewed focus on expats living abroad and those with overseas bank accounts.

This not only applies to the wealthy that attempt to conceal their money offshore in Switzerland and the Caymans, but also to those who are simply living abroad and have a basic checking or savings account. The IRS considers any foreign account to be a potential tax avoidance vehicle and in the eyes of the IRS, you are guilty until proven innocent.

If one exceeds $10,000 in aggregate cash holdings across all foreign bank accounts or $50,000 in investment accounts (including retirement and pension accounts), one must report this to the IRS by June 30 using what is called an FBAR form (Report on Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts).

4) Hire an Expat Tax Specialist

Coupled with the specific, somewhat obscure tax laws, and the fact the IRS highly scrutinizes expat returns, as always, it’s best to consult a professional.

Most CPAs have little or no experience with international tax filings, so be sure to inquire before making your decision, as facts and circumstances vary on a case by case basis and a comprehensive understanding of U.S. tax law for expatriates is a necessity.

By Vincenzo Villamena and John Hamilton



VincenzoVillamenaProfessionPhoto-150x150Vincenzo Villamena and John Hamilton are partners at expat tax specialist Online Taxman and registered CPAs. They met while studying accounting and University of Michigan and bonded over their love of numbers and traveling. After both working in corporate environment, they got fed up and decided to travel the world and help expats with their taxes. They have lived abroad in Australia, Argentina, Hong Kong, Colombia and Brazil. They offer free consultations to expats through their site,

© 2019