The 10 Best Food Markets In The World
Can you think of anything that engenders more controversy and animosity than combining top 10 lists and food? Perhaps taxes, whale hunting and maybe the last episode of Lost are the only other topics I’d try to avoid.
But that didn’t scare National Geographic from grabbing a few bites around the world and coming up with a list of the top 10 food markets in the world, a list whose major surprise is its almost complete lack of representation of Asia. Singapore’s Kreta Ayer Wet Market made the list, however markedly absent were any of the markets in Saigon (Ben Tanh), Hong Kong (Temple Street Night Market) or Bangkok (Chatuchak Weekend Market).
However, there are some great mentions here for markets in Latin America, as well as my local favorite, New York’s Union Square Greenmarket, which is probably the only market in the world that was home to a man that wore a $1,000 suit and sold vegetable peelers (and got his own write-up in the New York Times when he died). Only in New York.
Here’s the list of the markets that made the cut:
- St. Lawrence, Toronto, Canada
- Union Square Greenmarket, New York City
- Castries Market, St. Lucia
- Ver-o-Peso, Belém, Brazil
- Mercado Central, Santiago, Chile
- Kreta Ayer Wet Market, Singapore
- Kauppatori, Helsinki, Finland
- La Vucciria, Palermo, Italy
- Cours Saleya, Nice, France
- Borough Market, London, England
[Greenmarket by Jazz Guy/Flickr]