What a great time of the year it is when the summer music lineups begin to be announced, heralding the imminence of summer and marking those glorious few months of the year when it’s socially acceptable to wear shorts in public above the age of 24.
The Boson Globe put together this slide show of 15 of some of the biggest music festivals in the world. Because you’re busy people, I’ve culled the list for those shows with the best lineups (and in the best places to travel to).
1) The San Miguel Primavera Sound in Barcelona on May 26-29, featuring Belle & Sebastian, Big Boi, The Flaming Lips, Fleet Foxes, Pulp, James Blake.
2) Bonnaroo in Manchester, Tenn., on June 9-12, featuring Alison Krauss & Union Station, Wiz Khalifa, Widespread Panic, The Black Keys, Ray LaMontagne, My Morning Jacket.
3) Montreal International Jazz Festival on June 25-July 3, featuring Robert Plant & The Band of Joy, Sade, Diana Krall, Paco de Lucia, Marianne Faithfull, Youssou N’Dour.
4) Roskilde Festival in Roskilde, Denmark on June 30-July 3, featuring The Strokes, M.I.A., Kings of Leon, Arctic Monkeys, Iron Maiden, Mastodon
5) Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago on July 15-17, featuring Neko Case, TV on the Radio, Das Racist, Cut Copy, No Age, Deerhunter.
(Updated May 5, 2011 @ 4:29 p.m.)
This via a TheExpeditioner.com tipster in the New York City Region:
6) The Litchfield Jazz Festival in Kent, Connecticut on August 5-7, featuring Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, a Ray Charles Tribute with Davell Crawford, Roy Haynes Fountain of Youth Band, Jimmy Heath Big Band, the Clayton Brothers Quintet, Matt Wilson Qurtet plus Strings and more. www.litchfieldjazzfest.com.
TheExpeditioner is a travel site for the avid traveler featuring travel articles from some of the best travel writers in the world, as well as travel news, commentary, insight and video from a premiere team of bloggers from around the globe.