10 Random Facts About Train Travel In India
1) The total distance covered by the trains on the Indian Railways everyday, equals 3 1/2 times the distance to moon. [Link]
2) Longest Run (Time): Himsagar Express (3,751 km in 74 hrs and 55 min). [Link]
3) 18 million passengers ride 9,000 Indian trains every day. [Link]
4) Cost for ticket from New Delhi to Mumbai (1st class): $52.
5) Cost for ticket from New Delhi to Mumbai (Sleeper class): $8.37.
6) One compartment of the lowest class of accommodation is earmarked for women in every passenger carrying train. [Link]
7) Time to travel from Mumbai to Calcutta on the “Superfast” train: 30 1/2 hours.
8) Sample of various types of riders that receive fare discounts: “Circust Artists,” “Mental Patiens,” “Polo Team,” “War Widow,” and “Unemployed Youth.”
9) Cost for 30-day unlimited Indrail pass (first class): $495. (Per capita income for India: $1,170.)
10) Number of people killed by trains in India over the last five years: 1,220 [Link]
[Indian Train by Jasmine Kowner/Flickr]